US-India Collaborative for Smart Distribution System with Storage (UI-ASSIST)
UI-ASSIST is a joint project with top universities in the US including Washington State University (WSU), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), national laboratories, electrical utilities, vendors in the field of clean energy, and top Indian universities with the aim to develop smart power distribution systems with storage. This project addresses the impact of novel distributed energy resources (DERs), which include technologies such as energy storage, solar power generation, and electric vehicles, on the reliability and resiliency of the power grid, interruption of the cybersecurity among involved entities, and the overall profitability of these DERs for their owners. The major outcomes of this project include: (1) The roles of DER aggregation in the wholesale energy and ancillary service markets based on the FERC Order 2222, (2) The roles of DERs in utility grid operations and planning (3) Cyber-Physical Analysis tools and Cyber Security Measures for smart operations with high DER, (4) Lab scale testing using real-time simulators such as OPAL-RT and Typhoon HIL.
Read more: https://uiassist.org/
- Kezunovic, R. Baembitov, and M. Khoshjahan, “Data-driven State of Risk Prediction and Mitigation in Support of the Net-zero Carbon Electric Grid,” in 11th Bulk Power Systems Dynamics and Control Symposium – IREP’2022, Banff, Canada, 2022, doi:10.48550/arXiv.2207.03472.
- Khoshjahan, and M. Kezunovic, “Cybersecurity Analysis of Prosumer/Aggregator Communications Via Software Defined Networking Emulators,” CIRED Workshop on E-mobility and power distribution systems, Porto, Portugal, June 2022.
- Kezunovic, M. Khoshjahan, and M. Soleimani, “The Future Role of Active Distribution Load in Enhancing Reliability, Resilience and Security of the Electricity Grids,” CIGRE Symposium: Power System Transformation including Active Distribution, Kyoto, Japan, April 2022.
- Khoshjahan, M. Kezunovic, “Blockchain Implementation for DER Visibility and Transaction Verification in Wholesale Market,” IEEE T&D Conference, New Orleans, USA, April 2022.
- M. Soleimani, M. Kezunovic, “Transformer Loss of Life Mitigation by Coordinating Energy Storage, EV charging, and PV Generation at Consumer Sites,” The 53rd NAPS, College Station, USA, Nov, 2021, DOI: 10.1109/NAPS52732.2021.9654445.
- M. Khoshjahan, R. Baembitov and M. Kezunovic, “Impacts of Weather-Related Outages on DER Participation in the Wholesale Market Energy and Ancillary Services” 2021 CIGRE Grid of the Future Symposium, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, October 2021.
- M. Kezunovic, M. Khoshjahan and M. Soleimani, “Harvesting the Nano-Grid Flexibility” 2021 CIGRE Grid of the Future Symposium, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, October 2021.
- M. Khoshjahan, M. Soleimani and M. Kezunovic, “Tracing and Securing DER Transactions in the Wholesale Electricity Market using Blockchain,” 2021 IEEE PowerTech Conference, Madrid, Spain, 2021, pp. 1-6, DOI: 10.1109/PowerTech46648.2021.9494772.
- M. Soleimani, M. Khoshjahan, M. Kezunovic, “Risk-Based Residential Demand Side Response,” CIRED 2021 Conference, Geneva, Switzerland, September 2021, DOI: 10.1049/icp.2021.1892.
- M. Soleimani, M. Khoshjahan, M. Kezunovic, “Reducing Probability of Transformer Failure by Managing EV Charging in Residential Parking Lots,” IEEE PES General Meeting, Washington, D.C., July, 2021, DOI: 10.1109/PESGM46819.2021.9638079.
- M. Khoshjahan, M. Soleimani and M. Kezunovic, “Flexibility Provision by Distributed Prosumers in Wholesale Electricity Market,” The IET CIRED Workshop, Berlin, Germany, September 2020.
- M. Soleimani, M. Kezunovic, “Economic Analysis of Transformer Loss of Life Mitigation Using Energy Storage and PV Generation,” 2020 IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), Chicago, Illinois, April, 2020, DOI: 10.1109/TD39804.2020.9299895.
- M. Khoshjahan, M. Soleimani and M. Kezunovic, “Optimal Participation of PEV Charging Stations Integrated with Smart Buildings in the Wholesale Energy and Reserve Markets,” 2020 IEEE PES Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies North America (ISGT NA 2020), Washington, D.C., USA, February 2020, DOI: 10.1109/ISGT45199.2020.9087686.
- M. Soleimani and M. Kezunovic, “Economic Evaluation of Transformer Loss of Life Mitigation by Energy Storage and PV Generation,” 14th International Conference on Deregulated Electricity Market Issues in South-Eastern Europe-DEMSEE 2019, Greece, September, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/ISGTEurope.2019.8905763.
- M. Soleimani, C. Affonso, M. Kezunovic, “Transformer Loss of Life Mitigation in the Presence of Energy Storage and PV Generation,” 2019 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe), Bucharest, Romania, September 2019, DOI: 10.1109/ISGTEurope.2019.8905763.
- Khoshjahan, R. Baembitov and M. Kezunovic, “Informed prosumer aggregator bidding strategy via incorporating distribution grid outage risk predictions,” IEEE Access, vol. 11, pp. 28585-28595, March 2023.
- M. Khoshjahan and M. Kezunovic, “Robust Bidding Strategy for Aggregation of Distributed Prosumers in Flexiramp Market,”Electric Power Systems Research, Vol 209, 107994, August 2022, DOI: 10.1016/j.epsr.2022.107994.
- Soleimani, M. Kezunovic, S. Butenko “Linear Arrhenius-Weibull Model for Power Transformer Thermal Stress Assessment” IEEE Access, Vol 10, 19013-19021, 2022, DOI: 10.1109/access.2022.3150039.
- Soleimani and M. Kezunovic, “Mitigating Transformer Loss of Life and Reducing the Hazard of Failure by the Smart EV Charging,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 5974-5983, Sept.-Oct. 2020, DOI: 10.1109/TIA.2020.2986990.